Why Is Ben Johnson Running For The RCCD Board?
Ben Johnson is a parent of two RCCD students, a school board member with a record of success, and a business executive with financial expertise. Ben believes that the Riverside Community College District (RCCD) is a GREAT District. But it can do better.
- RCCD can do better preparing our students for the 21st Century workplace.
- RCCD can do better making sure a two year degree takes only two years to complete.
- RCCD can do a better job creating an affordable pathway to a four year college degree.
- RCCD can train more students in industries where there are jobs available now, and in the future: Healthcare, Science and Technology, Hospitality.
And most importantly…RCCD can do better providing the same opportunities for residents of Corona, Perris, Norco, and Moreno Valley that it does for the residents of Riverside.
If elected, Ben Johnson Will…
- Immediately expand Completion Counts, the program only available at the Riverside Campus and only to Riverside students that guarantees qualifying students a two year degree in two years. Ben Johnson will make it available at the Norco and Moreno Valley Campuses to all students.
- Expand Veterans Programs for our returning heroes.
- Partner with the area school districts (Corona-Norco, Val Verde, and Moreno Valley) to better prepare high school students for the transition to college.
- Work to keep RCCD the affordable option to obtain a college degree.
- Make the tough fiscal choices to ensure that taxpayer money is spent wisely.
- Hire people of integrity for RCCD leadership positions that are committed to our students, committed to our community, and are committed to RCCD.
If elected, Ben Johnson Will Not…
- Enact the proposal, advocated by others, that would allow students that could “pay more for classes” to be given special access to classes.
Ben Johnson has a Record of Success in Education
Ben Johnson has been a School Board member of the Alvord Unified School District for the past 17 years. Running a School District is similar to running a Community College District and Ben Johnson has a proven record of success.
Surviving the Great Recession
Despite the worst economic downturn in over 75 years that resulted in unprecedented cutbacks in school funding, under Ben’s leadership, Alvord Unified School District:
- Continued to see test scores rise
- Opened Hillcrest High School, a school that will educate today’s students for tomorrow’s jobs by focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
- Maintained a positive, effective relationship with labor
- Retained faculty and staff
- Built new facilities, modernized schools, refurbished classrooms, and constructed new stadiums for football and events.
Making High Achievement a Priority: Ben and the Alvord Unified School District Board:
- Launched an International Baccalaureate (IB) program for high achieving, college bound students.
- Partnered with the business community to establish learning academies such as the health careers academy and business academy.
Making Critical Hiring Decisions: Ben and the Alvord Unified School District Board have an exemplary record of hiring Superintendents that became pillars in the community for their expertise, integrity, and commitment to this region: Paul Jessup, Kathy Wright, Damon Castillo, Wendel Tucker, and Nick Ferguson.
Working for Regional Education Solutions Through Partnerships
- Ben represents our region on the California School Boards Association, the Riverside County School Boards Association, and Assemblyman Eric Linder’s Regional Education Advisory Committee.
- Created a first of its kind education center, Stokoe Elementary School, in partnership with the Riverside Community College District.